The IGALA conference series
IGALA13 will take place at the Universidad de la República de Uruguay in mid 2024! Watch this space for more details...
IGALA12 took place at the University of Queensland, Australia between 4 and 6 July 2023. The conference chair was Dr Kate Power. The website is still live!
The 11th biennial conference of the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA11) was held online due to the Covid-19 pandemic, hosted by Queen Mary University of London in June 2021.
Our most recent in-person event was IGALA 10, which was held at the University of Botswana, Gaborone, hosted by Sibonile Ellece, in June 2018. Below are some pictures from the event!
IGALA conferences are typically held every two years, and take place around the world. Slides from presenters at IGALA 9 in Hong Kong, can be seen here. Huge thanks to Ann Coady (Sheffield Hallam University, UK) for organising this. A selection of images from IGALA 9 can be seen here.
IGALA grad students attending the workshop on Entering the Academic Job Market
IGALA10 conference organisers, IGALA board members and Past Presidents of IGALA
IGALA delegates enjoy a post-conference lunch in Gaborone
Organizing an IGALA conference
Organising a future IGALA Conference
IGALA members interested in organizing the IGALA 13 conference are invited to present their proposal to the IGALA Board during IGALA 12.
IGALA is a non-profit organization and welcomes bids to host IGALA conferences from academic institutions active in researching and teaching language, gender and sexuality issues.
If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please contact Claire Maree, IGALA President, at <Claire Maree <firstname.lastname@example.org>, so that she can officially register your interest.
Your proposal should include the following information*:
• Name and affiliation of: Organizing Team Members & Conference Chair
• Proposed dates (2 at least)
• Proposed location: country, city, specific venue
• General information about the region
• Access to the venue (plane, train, bus & distances)
• Info and pictures of the venue and city
• List of the infrastructure/facilities of the venue
• List of reasons why this would be a good venue to host an IGALA conference (e.g. if the conference facilities can be available for free, as this reduces the registration fees, not been held there before, with a good 'catchment area', famous willing plenary speakers in the area already, etc)
• Accommodation around the area
• Visa info
• Possibilities on themes for the conference
• Estimation of the registration fees (range of prices)
• What would be included in the registration fees
• Possibilities of funding (funding agencies, sponsors)
• Ability to act as treasurer for IGALA and the conference in the two years prior to the conference, i.e. to open a bank account and handle the disbursement of conference travel grants
• Liaison with other associations
• Other items you might like to add to show why this would be a perfect place to host an IGALA conference
(*Thanks to Ana Ostermann for providing these guidelines)